My name is Justin Watrel and welcome to ‘VisitingaMuseum.com’, a trip through cultural sites, small unique museums, historic mansions and homes and pocket parks & community gardens in New York City and beyond its borders. I created this blog site to cross reference all the cultural sites that I came across when I was traveling through Manhattan for my walking blog, “MywalkinManhattan.com”.
Historic New Bridge Landing
I was inspired by all these sites that I had missed over the years and never knew existed in New York City and its suburbs. Many of these being in Bergen County, NJ where I live. I found that most people feel the same way. The only way you would know that these sites existed is by walking past them.
School House Museum in Ridgewood, New Jersey
So I created this site to showcase all these smaller, largely unexplored ‘gems’ in Manhattan, the rest of New York City and places outside the greater New York City area. I concentrate on smaller, more off beat cultural sites that you might miss in the tour books or may just find by passing them on the street. This has lead me to becoming a member of the Bergen County Historical Society in Riveredge, NJ as well as other cultural sites in the area.
The Aviation Museum in Teterboro, New Jersey
There is so many interesting historical sites, parks, gardens and homes to explore that I want to share it with all of you. They are tucked behind buildings and walls, locked behind gates or hidden behind trees only for you to want to discover them.
Ringwood Manor in Ringwood, New Jersey at Christmas
I want to give these smaller and unique ‘gems’ more exposure and ‘sing their praises’ to an audience (namely out of town tourists) who might overlook them. It is hard for a lot of these cultural site because of the lack of volunteers or volunteers getting older or the absence of money to properly advertise these sites.
Juan Leon’s work at Gallery Bergen on the Bergen Community College campus in Paramus, NJ
So join me in the extension of “MywalkinManhattan.com” with my new site “VisitingaMuseum.com” and share the adventure with me. Join me also on my sister blog sites, “DiningonaShoeStringinNYC@Wordpress.com” and ‘LittleShoponMainStreet@Wordpress.com’ for restaurants and small shops.
The Dyckman Farm in Washington Heights in Manhattan
These sites featuring all sorts of small restaurants, bodegas and bakeries, where a quality meal can be had for $10.00 and under and unusual stores with unique merchandise that just stand out in their respective neighborhoods. It is important to support small business owners especially in this economy.
Lucy the Elephant in Margate, NJ
So join me here as I take “MywalkinManhattan” to some unique and special historical sites and open spaces the New York Metropolitan area and beyond.
- College Art Gallery and Museum
- Experiences and Tours
- Exploring Historic Bergen County
- Exploring Historic Cape May, NJ
- Exploring Historic Kingston, NY
- Exploring the Hudson River Valley
- Historic Churches and Cemeteries
- Historic Homes in New York
- Historic Homes of New Jersey
- Historic Homes of New York City
- Historic Homes of the Hudson River Valley
- Historic Sites in New Jersey
- Historic Sites in NYC
- Historic Sites of New York State
- Museums in Florida
- New York City Parks and Playgrounds
- Parks and Historical Sites
- Small Museums and Galleries in New Jersey
- Small Museums and Galleries in New York State
- Small Museums and Galleries in NYC
- Small Museums and Galleries in Pennsylvania
- Small Museums in Delaware
- Statues and Monuments
- Visiting Historic Cape May, NJ
- Walking around Greenwich Village
- Walking Brooklyn
- Walking Harlem
- Walking in Midtown
- Walking Inwood and Washington Heights
- Walking Lower Manhattan
- Walking the Garment District
- Walking the Upper East Side
- Walking the Upper West Side
- Walking through Chinatown
- Zoos and Aquariums