Sparta Historical Society/Van Kirk Homestead                               336 Main Street                                                                              Sparta, NJ 07871

Sparta Historical Society/Van Kirk Homestead 336 Main Street Sparta, NJ 07871

Sparta Historical Society/Van Kirk Homestead

336 Main Street

Sparta, NJ 07871

(973) 726-0883

https://www.vankirkmuseum.org/gardens.htm

https://www.sussexskylands.com/listing/sparta-historical-society-van-kirk-homestead-museum/90

Admission: The admission is free except when there is a special event and price is determined by the event

Open: Sunday 1:00pm-4:00pm (Second & Forth of each month)/Monday-Saturday Closed

The Museum is open from April-December. Please check website for seasonality.

My review on TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g46839-d10259673-r1074643204-Sparta_Historical_Society-Sparta_New_Jersey.html?m=19905

The front of the Van Kirk family home which serves as the headquarters of the Sparta Historical Society

The History of the Site:

(from the museum website)

The Van Kirk Homestead, as it stands today, is 3.5 acres. There is one outbuilding both dating from 1930s – the red carriage barn.  A detached garage, dating from the 1970s, is across from the carriage barn. The original log cabin is gone but its site is known (Sparta Historical Society website).

The house that exists today is from 1780s but because it was lived in by generational Van Kirks’ it has had a few expansions. It is this house which has been revamped into a museum.  The original part of the house has a stone basement that was opened in 2019 as two exhibit galleries.   The first floor has two original fireplaces comprised of four exhibit galleries.  The second floor has the original wide plank floors and has another three exhibit galleries (Sparta Historical Society website).

The sign in the Main Street

The historical description of the house

The main part of the house was closed due to a renovation and the members were going to be opening a new exhibition upstairs. So I toured the lower level kitchen area.

The lower level of the house which was used for the kitchen and storage areas

The history of the kitchen at the Van Kirk House:

(from the museum website)

A two-year major restoration of century comparison period kitchens with the addition of several new gifts and collection purchases.  This exhibit shows the original fireplace colonial kitchen, reopened after 100 years, and the numerous transitions experienced by American families during the Industrial Revolution and its effect on kitchen appliances (Sparta Historical Society website).

The kitchen and dining area with family China and cookware in the background

The prep area, washing equipment and summer storage area

The baking and prep area

The wash equipment and ice box and tongs in the back

The Mining Exhibition just off the kitchen:

(from the museum website)

Opened in October 2019, this permanent exhibit features original Edison artifacts, a scale model of Lime Crest Quarry, and a large fluorescent mineral display. Through these and other rare artifacts, the exhibit explores the town’s mines and the people who worked at them. Housed in the 1780 section of the Van Kirk Homestead Museum, expect insights into, and understanding of, the past which supplements our understanding of our once primary iron and lime industry in Sparta and elsewhere in Sussex County. It also provides a glimpse into the time-consuming, labor-intensive methods used in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries to prepare, and ship minerals (Sparta Historical Society website).

The other side of the kitchen has an exhibition on the Mining Industry which is a big fabric of the community. The exhibition included a model of the Lime Crest Quarry and the Sterling Quarry.

The sign for the Lime Crest Quarry Model

The Mining exhibition-the Lime Crest Quarry model

The Men, Mines and Minerals exhibition with the lights off

The minerals and the clock from the mines

The Mineral exhibition with the lights off

The iron ore and the magnet exhibition

After touring the inside exhibition, I then explored the grounds which are still being used for gardens and vegetable beds for the society.

The back of the house grounds. They were setting up for an afternoon concert

The grounds of the house and the garage in the background

The family garage on the property exhibition:

(from the museum website)

Opened in August 2019, this permanent old fashioned transportation exhibit is located in the multi-year restoration project of the Nicholson Family Wagon House. On display at the Historic Transportation exhibit, you will discover a horse drawn carriage wagon, an old horse drawn sleigh, an old antique car Model T Ford and transportation artifacts. Learn how horse buggies, vintage carriages and old antique cars set the path for historic transportation to the present (Sparta Historical Society website).

The inside of the garage had a Model T car in perfect shape, a buggy and a sleigh.

The inside of the garage

The Model T car

The buggy and the sleigh in the back of the garage

The Studebaker Doctor’s buggy sign

The buggy

The Sturtevant-Larabee Sleigh sign

The sleigh

Also in the garage is various pieces of equipment and even an old gas pump

The sign for the Gilbert and Baker Self-Measuring Gas Pump

The old fashioned gas pump in the garage

Along all the walls were old pictures of the farm when it was still active and under family control

The gardens an grounds in the distance

One of the old sheds was converted into a school house and the room was set up as an old fashioned on room school house. Here kids of various ages were taught the fundamentals of Math, English and History.

The One Room Schoolhouse

The history of the Schoolhouse from the early 1900’s:

(from the museum website)

Step back in time to when classes consisted of all ages together!  Welcome to our One Room Schoolhouse exhibit which opened in 2023.  Sparta had four one room schoolhouses.   The first school was built at the Presbyterian Church in 1812 and was replaced in 1860 after a fire destroyed it. The one-room schoolhouses were established in New Jersey when a 1819 bill funded public education, and they remained active through the 1930’s, when regional schools were established. Students from grades one to eight attended these schools. Four of the structures that housed the one-room schoolhouse remain (Sparta Historical Society website).

Our schoolhouse replicates schools that were generally equipped with a teacher’s desk, student desks, a flag, a globe or map, books, a slate board, and a clock. Our schoolhouse has an 1860 map of Sussex County.  At the back of the room is an old stove similar to those used to heat the room (Sparta Historical Society website).

The inside of the One Room Schoolhouse

The Teacher’s desk

The Grounds and Gardens of the Museum:

(from the museum website)

Besides the two fenced Sparta Community Gardens, the homestead grounds have a fir pine grove, a New Jersey Champion Big Tree, a herb garden, and a continual seasonal flowering landscape (Sparta Historical Society website).

The last thing I toured at the museum was the open vegetable gardens which looked like they were getting ready to harvest.

The vegetable gardens in the back of the schoolhouse

The inside of one of the flower and vegetable gardens

The entire museum complex of the Van Kirk House, grounds with the sheds and garage and gardens on both sides.. The grounds are beautifully maintained.

Video on the site from the Sparta Historical Society:

The tour of the house:

Tour of the house and the grounds:

Historical Tour of Sparta, NJ:

The museum has interesting exhibitions and an array of special events through December 13th when the museum closes for the season. It reopens again in April with the warmer weather.

Take time to stroll the grounds and take a look at all the exhibits. It is an interesting look into New Jersey’s past.

Old Schoolhouse and Firehouse Museum                                    6 Passaic Avenue                                                                   Ogdensburg, NJ 07439

Old Schoolhouse and Firehouse Museum 6 Passaic Avenue Ogdensburg, NJ 07439

Old Schoolhouse and Firehouse Museum

6 Passaic Avenue

Ogdensburg, NJ 07439

https://www.sussex.nj.us/561/Old-Schoolhouse-Fire-Museum

https://www.facebook.com/oburghistoricalsocietypage

Open: Sunday 1:00pm-4:00pm (Only on the forth Sunday of the Month) Monday-Saturday Closed-Check the website for seasonality.

Admission: Free but a donation is appreciated

My review on TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Profile/R4960NKjustinw/mediabatch/14495681?m=19905

The front of the museum

I recently visited the Ogdensburg Old Schoolhouse and Firehouse Museum at 6 Passaic Avenue in Downtown Ogdensburg and discovered the community’s rich history of farming and mining in its past and its current destination as a weekend vacation spot and a up and coming bedroom community of New York City.

The County still has some farming and agriculture going on as the County continues to be built up with expats from the City, and Bergen and Morris Counties. The first floor is dedicated to the history of the Ogdensburg Fire Department with an old Engine and Ladders trucks, artifacts from the Sterling Mine just up the road and township property such as an old voting booth. You can read about the history of the Ogdensburg family as you head to the outside gallery.

The second floor has displays of various town departments including the Rescue, the Police Department and Fire Department. There are various displays of the town’s school system and various clubs in town. There are displays on the town’s mining and agricultural past with items such as farm advertising and mining equipment and minerals. Each display plays a role in the development of the community and how it progressed from farming to mining to manufacturing to the bedroom community it is today.

History of the Building:

“Built in 1910 as Ogdensburg’s fifth public school, it was adapted for re-use in 1930 as the Borough’s first firehouse replacing the one built in 1872. In 1984, with the aid of two state grants, the Ogdensburg Historical Society adapted it for re-use and dedicated it as the Old Schoolhouse and Firehouse Museum in 1987.

After 97 years, the Museum continues to serve the Borough of Ogdensburg as an historical learning and preservation center, and as a meeting hall.  On June 10, 2006 it was dedicated as an Ogdensburg Historic Site.”

The historic sign of the museum

The Borough of Ogdensburg is the host of this marker commemorating the rich history provided by this building.  This building has been maintained with much thought and care and remains as a museum and meeting place for the residents of the town. The marker is located in front of the building on Passaic Avenue just off Main Street by the Ogdensburg Elementary School.  This marker was part of the 2008 placement (Museum website).

The outside of the museum which served as a school and a firehouse

The first floor of the building has the fire trucks, the history of the fire department and Ogdensburg’s 250th Anniversary of the United States on display.

The museum artifacts from the 250th celebration of the Country

The museum is on the heart of mining country of Sussex County, NJ and the museum has an interesting mineral collection along with their collection of mining artifacts.

The Mineral and Mining Collection

The museum being home to the Ogdensburg Fire Department contains the history of the local fire department along with vehicles and artifacts from the department.

The history of the Ogdensburg Fire Department

One of the early Ladder Trucks

The history of the department

One of the early Engine Trucks

The history of the department

One of the early pull hose beds pulled by men and then by horses

The first floor also contains the history of the Ogden family in the region.

The history of the Ogden family in the community

The town voting booth and a turn of the last century phone

The second floor gallery used to serve as offices and living space of the fire department.

The main gallery on the second floor

The gallery case lines are filled with memorabilia from different aspects of the community telling the story of the growth of the community that included Mining and Farming. It explains the growth into the modern suburbs of today.

The main gallery on the second floor of the museum

The main gallery on the second floor

The display case of Ogdensburg departments including school, fire and police departments

The display of the Ogdensburg Police Department

The display of the Ogdensburg First Aid Squad

Blanket with historical sites and artifacts of the town of Ogdensburg, NJ

The businesses including schools and the domestic and farming industries

Each of the display cases represented different aspects of the town and has a variety of pictures and memorabilia from a variety of eras. The case lines show how the community changed over time from a mining community to the changes of a bedroom community of Newark and New York City.

The school system with classes and sports teams

Household, town and business artifacts

Military and early Native American artifacts

The Glenbrook Farm Milk Bucket

The Domestic home display

The Entertainment display of recorders, phonographs, radios and early record players

The influence that Thomas Edison had on the community with new technology.

Close up view of record players and Victrola’s

The School system display

The Church display

The Sterling Mine display with minerals and equipment

The Sterling Mine and Mineral display is a small s as molding of the museum down the street and the importance of the mining industry at the turn of the last century.

A closer look at the minerals display

A replica of a working mine operation. The machine shows how workers descending and brought up rock from the mines.

The Dedication to Mr. Waco Hadowantez, the town historian

The last display as you leave the museum is dedicated to the man who founded the historical society, Waco Hadowantez.

The museum tells an interesting story of the history of Ogdensburg and the surrounding area. It shows the importance of the Mining Community at the turn of the last century and how the community is pivoting towards tourism to tell its story.

Stone Harbor (Tatham) Life Saving Station                                     11617 Second Avenue                                                                                  Stone Harbor, NJ 08247

Stone Harbor (Tatham) Life Saving Station 11617 Second Avenue Stone Harbor, NJ 08247

Stone Harbor (Tatham) Life Saving Station

11617 Second Avenue

Stone Harbor, NJ 08247

(609) 368-2294

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Life-Saving_Station_No._35

Open: (Seasonal-June-Labor Day)

Admission: Free but they ask for a donation of $5.00

My review on TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g46850-d14316159-r1073429644-Tatham_Life_Saving_Station_and_Museum-Stone_Harbor_Cape_May_County_New_Jersey.html?m=19905

The outside of the museum:

The Stone Harbor Life Saving Station at 11617 Second Avenue

(From the Stone Harbor Museum website)

American Legion Post 331 represents both Avalon and Stone Harbor, but also includes many members from outside the area. The Post occupies the old Tatham Life Saving Station, the oldest building in Stone Harbor, and is dedicated to the memory of PFC Stephen C. Ludlam, of Stone Harbor, New Jersey (1925-1945). Stephen was the recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross (our nation’s 2nd highest award) and Purple Heart for heroic action during the Battle of the Colmar Pocket in World War II (Stone Harbor Museum website).

The historic Life Saving Boat

The historic signs

The historic signs

The historic signs

The museum is open for limited hours Monday-Wednesday and on Fridays from 10:00am-2:00pm during the summer months and then by appointment only during the rest of the year. The building is used for the local Veterans VFW meeting place so the building is used all year round.

The outside painting of the rescue team on the outside of the old bay

(From the Stone Harbor Museum website)

Murals in the building depict the history of the building, use of life saving equipment during the 1900s and honor to our fallen soldiers. All murals were created by artist and member Mr. James J. Thompson. Memorabilia available includes the life saving surf boat, steering oars, historic photos of the Life Saving Service and wall panels describing in detail the various aspects of life saving operations. The murals, wall panels and surfboat restoration were funded by the Cape May County Board of Chosen Freeholders. Also of interest is the view from the tower which presents an excellent panorama of Stone Harbor, the ocean, Hereford Inlet and the bay (Stone Harbor Museum website).

The second painting

I took a guided tour on a recent Friday and one of the veterans gave me a very though tour of the museum and all the displays. If you like this depth of the history of both the Coast Guard, the Jersey Shore Rescues and this history of all the wars especially WWI and WWII, this museum shows that history in depth with artifacts from both local residents and members of the military from New Jersey.

The Rescue painting from the old rescue bays

We started the tour on the first floor with the history of the building, how the Jersey Shore Rescue units worked and the early formation of the Coast Guard from the earlier Rescue Units.

The painting in the lobby is rescued

The beginnings of the US Coast Guard

The building is named after local resident , Stephen Ludham. The memorial to Private First Class Stephen Ludham is located in the first room.

The memorial Stephen Ludlam

The picture of Stephen C. Ludlam

(From the American Legion Post 331 website)

The American Legion Post 331 was chartered on March 30, 1946. At the time of our organization, we received permission from Mr. and Mrs. Jesse D. Ludlam of Stone Harbor to name the new post in honor of their son, Private First Class (PFC) Steven C. Ludlam. PFC Ludlam was killed in action at the age of 19 near Ostheim, France on January 23, 1945. For his heroic action on that date, he was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, an award second only to the Medal of Honor. His brother, John Ludlam an Army Air Corps member, was a charter member of the new post (American Legion Post 331 website).

Post 331 is unique primarily because it is fortunate enough to have been able to purchase and restore a deactivated U. S. Coast Guard (USCG) station that was formerly an 1895 U. S. Life-Saving Service (USLSS) station as its Post building. The building not only serves as a meeting place for legionnaires, but it also houses a life-saving museum on its first floor and a military museum on its second floor. The building’s tower offers a panoramic view of the southern part of Seven Mile Island (formerly Seven Mile Beach). American Legion Post 331 and Sons of The American Legion (S. A. L.) Squadron 331 members provide free tours of the historic building five days a week during the summer (American Legion Post 331 website).

Post 331 is also unique among many Posts because it services the summer resort communities of Avalon and Stone Harbor whose populations, to include active legion members, drastically fall during the off-season months. As a result, the Post is closed during the months of February and March. The Post has a membership of over 200 members. Our membership is comprised of past and present members of our nation’s military services: Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Air Force and in the future US Space Force. As members of The American Legion, they carry out our goal of veterans helping veterans and our local communities (American Legion Post 331 website).

The main room on the first room where the VFW meets, there is all sorts of artifacts and pictures along the walls.

The main meeting room of the building

The beach live Guarding stations in this part of the shore district

The Rescue Stations used to line the coastline along a certain amount of miles that could be covered by Teams with the technology of the time. As modern rescue practices were developed after WWI, we saw the formation of the current US Coast Guard.

The uniform and the award to Charles M. Wright, along with his memos.

What the site looked like in the early part of the last century before Stone Harbor grew up around it.

The next memorial was to Seaman Stephen Tieser along with his uniform.

The memorial to Stephen Tieser

Stephen Teiser’s Sailor’s uniform

The uniforms and the group shot of the ‘Manning Station’, the men of the life guarding station

As we left the first floor of the station and arrived on the second floor, the first display was on the ‘Code Talkers’, the native Americans who spoke the ‘Navajo’ language, and established a code that no one could break during WWII.

The Code Talkers display. This was the basis for the movie “Windtalkers”

The second floor landing has an interesting display of artifacts, including uniforms and art from WWII.

The second floor display

The second floor WWII display

The WWI display of the ‘Doughboy’ uniform and pictures

The full uniform

The WWII display of veterans memorabilia

The museum has an interesting display of items that were taken as spoils of the war from veterans based in Germany. The collection as a lot of Nazi war items.

The Nazi memorabilia

The second floor gallery of the station

The electronic equipment used in the war

The WWII Women’s display of factory and war support

A local couple who both members of the armed forces during WWII family donated their entire collection of their parent’s memorabilia from the war years.

The collection of family memorabilia

Jay and Rosie Hart and all awards and accolades

A Japanese bomber uniform in the WWII

The Vietnam veteran display in the second floor gallery

The war display on the second floor landing

The third floor of the building had the look out and a spectacular view of the ocean.

The third floor lookout

The view from the lookout tower

The tour takes about an hour but can go longer depending on your tour guide and the amount of time you want to spend on each exhibition. It is a fascinating look not just at the history of the Legion and of the Rescue facility but of all our foreign wars. The museum is open from 10:00am-2:00pm on selected days of the week depending on the season.

The History of the American Legion Post 331:

(From the American Legion Post 331 website)

Since being chartered in 1946, Stephen C. Ludlam Post 331 of The American Legion has been welcoming veterans from all branches of our Armed Forces. The American Legion was chartered and incorporated by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is the nation’s largest wartime veterans service organization, committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow service members and veterans (American Legion Post 331 website).

The American Legion is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization with great political influence perpetuated by its grass-roots involvement in the legislation process from local districts to Capitol Hill. Legionnaires’ sense of obligation to community, state and nation drives an honest advocacy for veterans in Washington. The Legion stands behind the issues most important to the nation’s veterans community, backed by resolutions passed by volunteer leadership (American Legion Post 331 website).

Margate Historical Society Museum                                           1 South Washington Avenue                                                           Margate, NJ 08402

Margate Historical Society Museum 1 South Washington Avenue Margate, NJ 08402

Margate Historical Society Museum

1 South Washington Avenue

Margate, NJ 08402

(609) 822-4709

https://www.margatelibrary.org/margate-historical-society-museum

https://www.margatelibrary.org

Open: Sunday-Wednesday Closed/Thursday-Saturday 10:00am-2:00pm

Admission: Free but donations is appreciated

My review on TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g46600-d21309600-r1073428093-Margate_Historical_Society_Museum-Margate_City_New_Jersey.html?m=19905

The Margate Historical Society at 1 South Washington Avenue

The Margate Historical Society is a small history museum that tells the story of Margate, NJ and nearby Atlantic City, NJ. The two towns are intertwined by history and business. This small museum is run by the Margate Library, part of the town’s municipal system.

The museum sign when open

The entrance to the museum

The inside of the museum and their fire and rescue displays

This interesting museum covers the history of the Fire, Rescue and Police Departments with lots of artifacts from all three departments including pictures and equipment.

The rescue and life guard display

The display explains both the lifeguard stations and members and the rescue units run by both this department and the fire department.

Margate Fire Department artifacts

https://www.facebook.com/MargateCityFireDepartment

https://margate-nj.com/1333/Fire

The museum has a lot of interesting artifacts from the Margate Fire Department that covers both the working and social aspects of the department. Many cover the last 100 years of the department.

Margate Fire Company #1 Banner

The history of the Margate Fire Department

The Margate Police Department also had an interesting display of artifacts including a jail cell. The department also donated uniforms and items to arrest people.

The Margate Police Department display

https://www.facebook.com/MCPDNJ

https://www.margate-nj.com/1876/Police

The museum features the history of the town from community events and organizations to artifacts on buildings and businesses.

Transit display

The history of the community of Margate, NJ

The town has many historical sites especially the “Lucy the Elephant” building down the road from the museum, which is one of the most well known structures at the Jersey shore.

The history of the Margate trolley system that used to exist on the shore line

Artifacts from the old trolleys

The history of the early community

Artifacts from residents of the town that continue to be collected by the museum

Artifacts from the community

The corner stones from the local schools

The museum has an interesting display of the 1964 Democratic Convention that was held in a fading Atlantic City. One of the biggest complaints was that the hotels were past their prime. This was before gambling would be introduced five year later.

The Democratic Convention in Atlantic City that was held in 1964

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Democratic_National_Convention

The formation of the town map block by block

The museum also has files of the original set up of the town since its founding.

The Margate Champion Little League teams

https://www.unpage.org/newjersey/nj-1980.htm

The museum touches on all parts of the Town of Margate,NJ and its role in the formation of beach communities along the Jersey shore. The museum shows the spirit of this New Jersey community.

The inside of the museum and the extensive displays of this small but interesting local museum.

The museum takes about an hour to visit and is packed with interesting information. The museum has very limited hours but you can work with the library in the off times to arrange a private tour.